Design and typography are expanding into the third dimension. Together with Manuel Roßner of Hightype, we produced a 3D-ready version of Monument Grotesk, which served a base for the 3D typeface "HT Standard".
HT Standard matches perfectly with the 2D version of Monument Grotesk, and vice-versa, and allows you to design consistently across those dimensions.
All core characters are available as individual 3D models and allow for creating type animations and all kinds of shape modifications. It is drawn carefully with respect to an equal distribution of polygons: how ever you edit and bold the shapes, they’ll appear smooth and show no unwanted corners or glitches.
Base Monument Grotesk: Kasper-Florio
Typeface Extension for 3D: Dinamo + Robert Janes
(based on Monument Grotesk)
3D Typeface: HT Standard
3D Modeling & Distribution: Hightype
Hightype refined the 3D shapes and polygon distribution of the models in order for them to serve as dynamic and flexible bases in typographic 3D projects. HT Standard includes 76 characters that only consist of polygons with four edges. Zero triangles!
The following characters are available as individual 3D models in two versions: 100% Square and 30% Rounded
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
. : ; ? ! , / \ ‘ ’ “ ” # € $ ¥ % & - – —
Characters which have alternatives that don't reach below baseline:
C G J O S Q U 0 3 5 6 8 9 € ; , & $ %
The mesh was transformed in zBrush and animated in 3DS Max afterwards.
Content of the Pro/Realtime Version
● All 76 characters shown above come in separate FBX, OBJ and 3DS files. You can implement them individually on websites without using any 3D-software
● Additional 3D-versions of characters which do not go beyond the baseline
● All characters are UV-mapped
● Using 3D-software all of the files can be smoothed. The Pro/Realtime version already contains smoothed files for immediate use
● On Hightype’s website you can see a smooth version and the way the Rendering and Pro/Realtime packages are shipped
● A lower polygon version is available for modifying on a vertex-level and for better performance in simulations or websites.
Every character is also included in a smoother version
● The Render-Package includes all characters in a single file without the lower polygon version